If you are in Germany, medical doctor salary will vary depending on specialization.
The average salary in Germany changes according to field of specialization:
- internal medicine at €55,776;
- neurologist at €45,693;
- general practice at €46,000;
- cardiologist at €49,579;
- family physician at €74,546;
- ophthalmologist at €36,000;
- and radiologist at €80,000.
There is an obvious gap in medical doctor salary rates for those who just entered into the profession compared to experienced doctors as shown in this data where pay rates were classified according to tenure:
- less than 1 year at €43,167;
- 1 to 4 years at €48,608;
- 5 to 9 years at €48,000;
- 10 to 19 years at €60,000;
- and 20 years or more at €75,141.
Working in a certain location may give you better wages compared to other areas. For example, the average medical doctor salary in Bavaria is €90,000, recording the highest rate in PayScale. Other areas have the following rates:
- Berlin at €54,720;
- Bader-Wuerttemberg at €48,980;
- Nordrhein-Westfalen at €49,455;
- Hamburg at €24,417;
- Hessen at €63,637;
- and Niedersachsen at €39,996.
Males recorded a slightly higher average rate with the medical salary of €54,979 compared to the €53,000 earned by females.
Medical doctors in Germany could receive several benefits or perks such as 401(k), life or disability insurance, malpractice or liability insurance, paid sick leave or holiday, cell phone, and company car.